Hi Kim! i have had several cancerous tumors inside my cheek. Mine looked like canker sores, small irregular white spots. They were about the size of the tip of an eraser. When I felt them on the outside of my cheek, I felt a lump.

Cancerous tumors on the inside of your cheeks are treated differently than a patient with tongue cancer. I have had oral cancer 3 times, the first 2 times were tumors inside my cheek. I had 2 separate spots the first time and only 1 spot the second time. The first time I had oral cancer I was treated with chemo and radiation to kill both of the tumors. It worked and I was cancer free but I was also unlucky and it came back. This time it was treated with surgery. My ENT scooped the tumor out and had clean margins.

If your sore has been inside your mouth for 2 weeks or longer then go to an ENT who is familiar with oral cancer patients and get it checked. If you are a smoker, then that could be irritating your mouth and making it harder for the sore to heal. In any given time there are all kinds of different things that can happen inside your mouth. Do not panic, if you are worried then get it checked out. Only thru a biopsy will you know for certain what it is.

Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you may have, best wishes!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma