Hi there... sorry the results were positive but it's an early stage thank heavens. The staging seems right, it's usually based on size and then lymph node involvement. Usually a ct or PET depending on your hospital, will determine that for sure. But if it's a tumor, based on size what I was told if it's under 2 cm then it's t1 2-3cm t2 - then if there are nodes involved the staging can change but usually it's more than one or two nodes that makes the difference. So he must have some idea of how large it is. Im not sure if you've had a ct, PET or MRI, that usually gives you a little more definitive. Mine measured 2.4 x 1.4 was a stage 2, I had one lymph node involved, that didn't change anything.

Try not to be worried. You're lucky you were diligent. It was caught early - Did they tell you if it was well differentiated, moderate, or poor? there are other things too like, was there peri neural involvement. Likely not since its so early on. These things along with the results of your neck dissection will determine whether they offer you radiation and chemo.

It sounds like they arent rebuilding your tongue, just removing a small bit. which is good, less surgery, and a quicker recovery. Take care!!! good luck... wink

Last edited by ChristineB; 09-17-2011 09:01 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan