Hi there,
I am new to this site, but feel fortunate to have found it!! I was first diagnosed with a leukoplakia in the left side of my tongue 10+ years ago. I was a social smoker and drinker- but nothing too crazy. Since the initial resection I have had 3 additional surgeries- the pathology has never come back as more than mild dysplasia. My last surgery was 6 mos after I had my first child, in Feb 2010. That surgery was performed by a Maxilofacial surgeon who was great- but was admittedly thinking that if the situation recurs- that he may be out of his depth. So a couple of months after the surgery I have been under the care of the physicians at Sloan here in NYC. They have not performed any biopsies in the past year- but checking me consistently every 4 mos. The doctor there told me that he was 100% comfortable with my trying to get pregnant again. Well of course- that is taking a while now too...
Before I last went into see my Dr at Sloan, I told him that my tongue had been sore and he warned that these tongue lesions have a tendency to flare up- but there were no obvious signs of cancer- despite that the left half of my tongue is fairly mangled from all of my surgeries. I am due to see the doctor again in a couple of weeks- but there seems to be another flare up. For instance if I eat something with a tiny seed and it gets under- it really hurts- feels like there is a knife to one section of my tongue...
Does or did anyone else have "mild dysplasia" that progressed to cancer and if so, in what time frame. OR- has anyone else experienced a very sore/ easily irritable tongue as just a symptom of many surgeries?

Thank you!
Sally

Sally, 38 years old
T1N0M0 Left Tongue Lesion, Moderately Differentiated
10 + year history Leukoplakia, Mild Dysplasia before cancer diagnosis 8/2011
Scheduled Partial Glossectomy & Neck Dissection 9-17-11