Back in 2002 I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue at age 28. It was stage T2N0M0. I had a partial glossectomy, radiation, and amifostine and was declared cancer-free.

Almost ten years later, I have a second tumor (a new one) in the same site. It is very aggressive and crossed the midline of my tongue. My trachea and lungs also lit up on the PET scan; I have not yet learned the results of my bronchoscopy and lung biopsies.

I just had my PEG tube installed last week. On Sept. 1 I am scheduled to have a glossectomy and radical neck dissection with a chest-muscle rebuild of the tongue.

I have never used tobacco in any form, and prior to my first diagnosis I didn't drink alcohol. (I started having a beer or two every so often after being diagnosed, because life is too short not to enjoy myself.)

I used to be a social worker before they fired me for being in the hospital for too many days. I used to be a candidate for elected office, but I suppose I can't do that without a tongue.

Dx 2002 with SCC of left lateral oral tongue, stage T2N0M0
Partial glossectomy, radiation, Amifostine

Dx 2011 with SCC of left lateral oral tongue, possible mets to trachea and lungs
PEG inserted
Scheduled for glossectomy on Sept. 1, 2011

Never used tobacco in any form.