Christine,

Thanks for your thoughts. Michael has his primary medical care done through the local VA here and they do his blood work and it generally looks pretty good. He really doesn�t get sick that often. He does still have the on-going cervical neck / shoulder pains- osteoporosis, bone spurs, etc. He tried acupuncture, and he didn�t think it helped much. But as far as colds, flues etc he stays pretty healthily. He does get tired more easily than he used to. We actually �argue� about which of us is the most tired sometimes. I still think I am � but then I still work full time, have a cardiac condition (with no symptoms other than being tired).

No, he didn�t get tubes with the HBO. His (and my) hearing was pretty bad prior to it. He did actually just (on Tuesday) get two new hearing aides this week from the VA. I am not sure how much he actually worn them yet or how much he will wear them (another thing we �argue� about is which of us is deafer), but I am not a veteran so no VA hearing aides for me. I think his eyesight did get pretty bad for a while with the HBO, but seems better now � he says it isn�t back to where it was pre HBO. We both need current eye exams.

Good news was he wanted to go out to dinner last night and was really hungry and ate a lot � more than I have seen him eat at one time for a long time. I assume that means he is feeling better. He has been on several rounds of antibiotics for a number of years for various things � UTIs and other pre- extraction dental infections (maybe he does get infections easily so maybe my first paragraph was wrong). You could have the correct idea about the immune system issues. Anyway I do worry about him becoming resistant to the antibiotics. I do think doctors prescribe them too quickly for people though sometimes.

Thanks for your in-put. After cancer (and I am really very fond of him), I just get really scared with any little thing that is wrong with him and this infection business is scary especially since it is so relatively long after the actual extraction and root canal. He goes back to the dentist August 2 and hopefully this round of meds will have completely cleared it up.

Thanks again. I am so glad this forum is here - it really does help a lot when something comes up which is frightening and was very helpful when we were in the acute phase of the treatment.

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!