I thought we needed some clarification. So I did a little more research. I'm not an expert but this is what I pulled together re manuka honey... This is not written to try and convince someone not to do what their dr. Says. I am an advocate of listening to your Drs. I just wanted to share what I learned when I was researching so others could make an informed decision. I will also post this in the adjunctive therapy forum so everyone else can read it. Plus I think people were concerned as to whether or not it was an antioxidant - so the info is here so you can decide for yourself.

First off when I heard about manuka it was from someone else, prior to trying

it I looked it up online. Several places are doing trials with it (hospitals) with patients to see it's affect on oral cancer patients mucousitis - results have been varied I can tell you for me it helped... But what works for one person doesn't always work for another. That said prior to taking it I asked my radiation dr. (who knew I was being careful about antioxidants etc..) He said yes. The amount I was using was very small. 2-3 teaspoons a day. Was usually all I could choke down. The honey itself is 80% sugar , 18% water, and 2% vitamins and minerals much of which is dependent on the actual honey -

But this is what I got from one web site.

Nutrition
Facts
Calories in Manuka Honey

��Serving Size:
1 tsp

Amount Per Serving

�Calories 32.5
�Total Fat 0.0�g
� Saturated Fat 0.0�g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0�g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0�g
�Cholesterol 0.0�mg
Amount Per Serving
Sodium 2.0�mg
Potassium 0.0�mg
Total Carbohydrate 7.8�g
�� �Dietary Fiber 0.0�g
�Sugars 7.8�g
�Protein 0.5�g
��Vitamin A 0.0�%
��Vitamin B-12 0.0�%
��Vitamin B-6 0.0�%
��Vitamin C 0.0�%
��Vitamin D 0.0�%
��Vitamin E 0.0�%
��Calcium 0.0�%
��Copper 0.0�%
��Folate 0.0�%
��Iron 0.0�%
��Magnesium 0.0�%
��Manganese 0.0�%
��Niacin 0.0�%
��Pantothenic Acid���� 0.0�%
��Phosphorus���� 0.0�%
��Riboflavin 0.0�%
��Selenium 0.0�%
��Thiamin 0.0�%
��Zinc 0.0�%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I checked out a few place the values were similar, and the amounts were trace amounts. My hospital hands out a pamphlet to it's patients undergoing radiation therapy below is the link - it is all about anti oxidants. So prior to taking the honey... I looked into it, I asked my dr. He okayed it. I read the pamphlet, and checked my vitamins (which I stopped taking) my daily diet was nothing to worry about because after week two it was barely here and by week three it was all boost and ensure. So besides water, and 2-3 teaspoons of honey (which i couldnt always get down and which I didn't start until week 4 because I'd never heard of it) the boost and ensure was all that went into my mouth.

There are antioxidants in normal healthy foods. We are told to maintain a healthy diet through our radiation treatment (though with head and neck cancer is very hard because our taste and mouths are affected ) the concern with antioxidants is mega supplements - according to the pamphlet put out by the hospital.
So considering, I was only taking in 3-4 bottles of boost and ensure, and a little honey - that doesn't have any of the major antioxidant vitamins in it - I was okay with this because likely if I had a meal of broccoli meat and brown rice I would surpass any antioxidant properties found in, three tablespoons of honey and more.
However I'm not an expert. If your dr. Says no, then please don't.

Here's the link to the pamphlet out out by my hospital.
Princess Margaret hospital in Toronto (part of the university health network.

http://www.uhn.ca/Patients_&_Visitor..._RT_English.pdf

Hope this clarifies.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan