People of New Zealand and Australia have long turned to Manuka honey to heal all sorts of scratches and bites. It is a home remedy that has survived throughout our (very short) history.

Whilst all honeys have an action that releases hydrogen peroxide which would remove dead skin, allowing growth of new skin to progress (healing), it is obstructed by the body which acts to dilute and remove the hydrogen peroxide (catalase activity).

So researchers went looking for another mechanism because the Kiwis persisted in dousing themselves in honey and getting results. What they found was a further action which was antimicrobial (kills or inhibits bacteria) and anti-inflammatory.

Manuka (Maori word for the Tea Tree plant) is special in this capacity and is different from other honeys. Manuka inhibits bacteria (eg staph) which is found in many skin infections and wounds which is why it works to heal leg ulcers, burns, and sugical wounds. There is proof it is at least as good as standard treatments in these applications. It is also able to prevent the bacterial infections occuring in the first place and capable of improving the bad odour often associated with wounds (the mechanism is postulated but beyond me to be able to explain).

So, a logical leap has been made that it should work on mouth ulcers too. Those who have tried it, swear by it (I am one of them) but there is no published research on this that I can find. There is a trial going on at the moment that is investigating, so maybe one day soon, we will be able to move this topic from �adjunctive treatment� to �medications, treatments and procedures�. I am unaware of any results but maybe someone else knows better.

The person who originally explored the use of Manuka honey back in the 80s and attempted to elucidate its properties is a Kiwi and came from Waikato University in NZ which has now dedicated part of their website to Manuka Honey. Well worth the read.

http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/evidence.shtml

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight