Hi Charm, Cheryl, Donna, David, and everyone else,

Thanks for the support and tips long distance. I am sure I will need it. Charm, I am actually scheduled to see my PCP tomorrow to do a blood draw for the thyroid test.

On an unrelated note, my RO also suggested that radiation can affect the carotid arteries (he said something about possible narrowing). I was curious if anyone had done anything about this either before and/or after radiation? After surgery on 5/6/11, I passed out on day 4 after surgery for reasons unknown. All vital signs were fine. This also happened when I had another surgery in 2008. All docs discounted it as a syncope reaction; however one also suggested that I get my PCP to do an ultrasound of my carotid artery. I was curious if anyone has had or heard of any similar experiences.

My left wisdom teeth were removed last week. The RO is waiting for it to heal and get dental clearance before he will provide a start date for rads. I cannot wait to get it over with; but know that the 7-week treatment period (and possibly several weeks thereafter) is not going to be fun.

The RO also suggested that he does not recommend that I put in a peg ahead of time. He said that if he feels that I am losing too much weight, then he will change his mind. Is this approach OK?

Thanks very much for your comments. They are truly helpful not only to get through the treatment with as few scars as possible, but more importantly the moral support from all of you definitely keeps me going...

Have a wonderful Memorial day!

Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11