Welcome to OCF!

Before you begin, get a complete set of blood work including thyroid numbers. This way you will have an idea of what is normal for you before all the fun begins.

Take a person with you to each and every doctors appointment. All too often when its bad news we tend to shut down and not hear much else. Write down your questions and the answers. Ask if its ok to tape your Q&A so you can refer back to it later.

Get a second opinion. Especially since you have had 7 operations! You should be headed to a cancer center where a full team of doctors will discuss your treatment options and your history.

Its a great idea to take all the well meaning people who approach you with offers of help and write down their name and contact info in a address book. Tell them at this time you will keep them in m ind for when you need a hand. The time will come when doing a load of laundry will be helpful. Or maybe they could drive you to treatment one day and take the burden off your caregiver.

If you are able to eat, now is the time to eat lots! Fill up on all your favorite foods. Dont be afraid of calories, they are your friend! Gaining a few pounds right now is a good idea. You will lose some weight during treatment as your sense of taste will change and eating will have some challenges for a while. Dont worry, its temporary.

A signature will help us to get to know you easier. Its under the 'my stuff' tab. Click on profile, scroll to the bottom and type in the box. Dont worry about being technical, write what you feel is important.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV