I found this site today and am glad. I had a biopsy on my tongue last Thursday. I had a sore on my tongue that had been there for about 8 months. When I had another one pop up over the previous weekend I decided to have it checked out. The ENT looked at it and said it could be from trauma, but he wanted to take a biopsy anyways. After giving me a shot of the local, he got straight to it. Told me I was a brave soul (I guess because right after the shot I told him to go). I didn't know he was waiting for me to acknowledge that the local had kicked in. None the less after slicing with the scalpel he pulled out the scissors to cut the flap off. Something about the scissors made me queazy (didnt hurt) and I began having a panic attack (cold sweats, light headedness, dizzy, and felt like I was going to pass out). The ENT had a medical word for it, but I called it a panic attack. Anyhow after he got the sutures in and my panic attack calmed down I was out of the office.

Here it is a week later and I am due to go back tomorrow to find out the results. I hope it isn't cancerous, but I would be lying if I said I haven't been worried about it this entire time. I am a smoker and am in the process of kicking the habit. Its tough to do, but its the only way. I've been a pack-a-day smoker for 15 years, and it took me this long to realize that it was time for me to quit.

Anyhow, my question is this. What types of symptoms are usually noticed for cancers of the tongue/mouth? Is it just the sores? Or is it accompanied by other items? My only real symptom is that of a sore that overstayed its welcome for 8 months, and another one that popped up right next to the other. It was white in color and was very tender, but it started off as (seemingly) a sore/swollen tasted bud.

If you've read this far, thanks. I know it is a wall of text, but sometimes it is good to get things like this off of your chest. I don't have any friends/family where I live, so its just me, with no outlet, thinking of the worse possible outcome.