Sonia, welcome. Sorry you're here, but as Tommy and Christine have said, you've come to the right place for information and support. I'd say that it never hurts to have a second opinion. That said, a neck dissection, though surely major surgery, is normally something that you get through very well (I had some problems, but that was unusual so I'm told).

There's residual tenderness and numbness that gets better with time. We all speak of the new normal here and that's a fact.

I find it interesting to read about people who have only surgery with no follow-up chemo or RT. My bout was 2 years ago, and I was told in no uncertain terms that I needed radiation to kill any rogue cells that the RND/lymph node removal might have missed. Perhaps your being stage 1 obviates the need for that. But it wouldn't hurt to ask, especially if you do decide on a 2nd opinion.

Should Brian (the leader of this forum) or someone else more knowledgeable weigh in they'll perhaps be better able to clarify.

Best of luck to you. We're all in your corner!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18