Totally agree ! Even though I had a clear CT... And MRI - my dr. Said ND and hemiglossectory - I was happy to have it done... And they found one lymph node involve despited 2 clear scans. Time between original diagnosis and surgery 6 weeks! The MRI and my surgery were 3-4 weeks apart. The node was there before the MRI as I could palpate it before hand And my original path was well differentiated (told now it is well to moderate). All in all I'm glad I had the ND - you never know... And definitely better safe than sorry. I'm 6 weeks post op yesterday and my neck is numb, but far less stiff than it was - I have probably 80 percent range of motion back in both my arm/shoulder and neck. Tongue is still a little swollen but I'm eating well, and t,d, and s are my trouble lettlers but once the swelling goes away it should improve.

It's not an easy surgery but a lot of people here have gone through it. My diagnosis was similar to yours...

Sorry you have to be here but its a great support network.

Take care and good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan