You have found the right place to help you so you are better prepared to assist your husband. Going thru radiation is no picnic. It will get progressively worse as time goes on as it builds up in your body. Radiation even keeps working after he finishes treatments.

Being a caregiver can be a thankless frustrating job. I dont know if I would have the patience to handle everything a caregiver has to. Here are a couple hints for doctor visits. Make sure you make a list prior to the next doctor visit, you really need to attend these. Make sure you have clear answers that you understand. If you are unsure of something ask and dont be afraid to ask your medical professionals to put it in simpler form so you can understand it. Im sure you have already seen alot of medical jargon on this forum. You will soon be able to understand all this stuff like a pro! Some people have even taken a tape recorder to their doctor visits so they can play it back later when they arent so stressed out. Most docs will allow you to tape the session if you ask.

Trouble swallowing could be from radiation or any number of other things. Very very important---make sure your husband drinks and swallows water every single day. No matter how much discomfort he is in, he needs to swallow or his muscles will forget how. If he is choking or getting water down his windpipe then he will need a swallow test done before he drinks. He should be taking in minimum of 48 oz daily, the more he drinks the better he will feel. Same goes with calories, minimum 2500+ daily, the more the better. If your husband is unable to meet those minimums then he might need a feeding tube. Many of us have had to have one of those to keep up our nutrition, we didnt want one but it was a necessity.

Best wishes with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy