Harrowing stuff, Dr. Brook. Thanks for posting it.

But I have to step in and testify about my experience with the entire process, beginning with my diagnosis (which is to say, the first FNA done of my enlarged lymph node turned up negative for SCC - but I've read that this isn't necessarily uncommon) and notably including my stay St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, CA, if only to balance out all this frightening - and certainly important - negative stuff.

I had complications after my neck dissection necessitating an emergency return to surgery for a tracheotomy, followed by 6 days in the ICU and another 5 or so in a regular room. I can't say enough about the staff: they were great. In fact during those frightening 6 days I can remember only one time when the nurse took a bit more time to get to me when I was pressing the call button... and she apologized profusely, telling me that she had been doing a procedure in the next room.

My primary doctor also just seemed to be around a lot, taking personal care of me. A great guy.

Of course not being a medical person I have no idea if corners were cut, things omitted; if I came close to the edge at any point due to errors or mistakes, etc.

But my experience as a patient, and my full recovery afterward, are I believe strong testimony to the quality of care I received. If only everyone could have an experience as positive!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18