Anne,
definitely get your meds lined up before you need them. You don't want to go to the ER on a weekend or weeknight for pain meds. I would suggest a script for Diflucan as well because you will more than likely get a candiasis (thrush) bloom once the treatment alters the pH in your mouth.

My MO handled all of my meds. At MDA they probably have a pain management team and will set you up. An anti-anxiety med wouldn't hurt a bit either.

IMO the MO is the best choice (and most qualified) for med management. After all body chemistry is what oncology is all about.

My pain meds were:

"Long term": Fentanyl patches, starting with 25 mcg working up to 75 mcg, 72 hour time release. They take 24 hours to reach the full therapeutic level on the first patch.

"Short term": (breakthough): Morphine sulfate, 15mg, as needed.

They will adjust the balance between the long term and short term meds as you go by a process called titration. In other words if you are taking too many short term meds, they will adjust your long term meds upward. They can go as high as 500 mcg with Fentanyl but that is very unlikely for H&N pain. The highest dose I have heard of here was 150 mcg.

If you get Fentanyl be very careful about following the directions for usage to the letter. It is the most powerful pain killer there is and is 100X stronger than Heroin. It is safe as long as used exactly as directed.

"Pink Magic" Swish & spit: For very short term pain relief to allow eating, drinking, procedures, etc., Lidocaine, Morphine & Benedryl

Anti-anxiety - Zanax

Pepcid AC (Famatodine) chemo does a number on the GI system

There were other meds, like antibiotics for infections, steroids for the burns, salves (like Radiacare) for the radiation burns on the skin (never have anything on the skin prior to radiation treatment, only apply it afterwards). At the CCC where I was treated they gave me free samples at the RO nurses station.

http://www.amazon.com/RadiaCare-Gel-Hydrogel-Wound-Dressing/dp/B000BF5JEQ

Narcotics cause serious side effects like constipation so have stool softeners, Preparation H, etc. Have a long talk with your nutritionist about how to avoid constipation IMO it was one of the worst side effects - right up there with mouth sores.

Anti-emetics are a must if getting adjunctive chemo, like Zofran or Emend (?).

Most of these meds can be in liquid form also if you decide on a feeding tube.

STAY HYDRATED!

Last edited by Gary; 01-05-2011 11:05 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)