Hi,
I've floated around this website since September when, as a 59 year-old healthy, non-smoking woman, I found myself with a biopsy that showed positive for squamous cell carcinoma, ventral surface of the tongue. Because the lesion was small, 1 mm deep, less than 1 cm at the widest point, and 5 mm margins were taken all around, it seemed that I was safe at home! However, I developed a small swollen lymph node about 4 weeks after surgery. The impossible happened, and I was found to have metastatic scc!

I have been in contact with a couple of members of this board since this time, and both have been invaluable to me in finding doctors and an institution that I felt comfortable with in handling my case. After selective neck dissection surgery (no more involved nodes) and further cutting on my tongue with no residual cancer there (my least favorite aspect at this point), my doctors at MD Anderson decided that IMRT would be the best course as it is extremely unusual for a superficially invasive lesion to metastatize as this one did. Possibly is it more aggressive.

So now I have come face to face with what I have, or have had, and aim to endure what is now before me. I have not really recovered from my neck dissection, tongue excision (I am missing about a quarter of the left side of my tongue), but I am not feeling as bad as I did last week, having had the surgery, Dec 20, 2010. I am getting feeling back in different areas continually.

I know if I ask for advice on preparing for IMRT, I am likely to hear the message to "bulk up". I am trying to do that. I weigh more than I did last week already! But I'm a light weight, 5' 3", 112-115 pounds. Besides consuming food in mass quantities now, is there any advice out there on preparing oneself for this battle? I am going to be living in Texas (11 hours away from home) for that time. I am married, and my husband will fly in for long weekends. I do have a cousin and family living in Houston so that will help.
AnneO

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021