Hey all,

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like no one has worked with her. Oh well!

In response to the comments about eating healthy - I also eat a very healthy diet, minimal sugar, etc. This nutritionist supports healthy food choices in general, but more specifically, based on lab tests, she evaluated specific areas where I could use improvement, based on (western-med) studies about what does and doesn't encourage cancer growth, particularly my kind of cancer. One example for me is I have very low Vit D. She cited multiple studies showing Vit D inhibiting cancer growth, including discussion of strengths/weaknesses of various studies, and their applicability to HNSCC. She also went one step further than my doctor, in that she noticed my cholesterol is very low, which is usually "good" and didn't make the doctor's radar. But since cholesterol is needed as a building block to produce Vit D, I may need to address low cholesterol in order to successfully address low Vit D. She doesn't promise anything as a cure, just looks at what studies are out there, then works to encourage the good things and reduce the bad.

I figure if my body is prone towards cancer, it's going to have less of a chance of recurrence if I get these other things in balance.

Take care,

Rahel

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!