Today, we celebrated my husband's 49th birthday. I have held a mental picture of this day in my mind throughout treatment, and it all came to fruition. I had an instinctive feeling when he was at his worse that he would be so much better by his birthday...although, at times I had my doubts.

Dan finished treatment on August 6th. The first two weeks post tx, he was so dehydrated we had to have a nurse come to the house for daily IVs. His site does not believe in Peg tubes, so that was his only intake for some time. He struggled with getting about 1 protein drink down a day because he had terrible issues with thrush and mucositus.

The 3rd week post tx, he acquired a staph infection. And, the 4th week, the healing began...with the onset of more good days than bad.

He got serious about getting off of protein drinks about the 6th week. And, now eats (but does not always taste) a wide variety of foods.

He is off pain meds (at his max, he was on 10 oxycodone a day). He is driving short distances. And, he has accompanied me on two soccer tournament trips for our kids.

Fatigue remains an issue, finding foods that taste and feel right in his mouth is an issue. But, in general, I feel like my husband is back.

So, today, to celebrate his birthday we went out to dinner with the kids and had a really great time. We had much to celebrate and much to be grateful for. His next big milestone will be when he gets the ok to return to work. He is looking forward to that.

I appreciate the many people on this site who got me through this day by day on days I didn't think the nightmare would ever end. My love and thanks to all of you.

Each week our lives fall in closer to our new "normal"...a better normal, as my husband and I have grown to be quite a bit closer than the two busy ships that were passing in the night prior to the "c" diagnosis.

I wish you all the best.

God Bless,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.