Posted By: mhupe My Husband's Birthday - 10-08-2007 11:30 PM
Today, we celebrated my husband's 49th birthday. I have held a mental picture of this day in my mind throughout treatment, and it all came to fruition. I had an instinctive feeling when he was at his worse that he would be so much better by his birthday...although, at times I had my doubts.

Dan finished treatment on August 6th. The first two weeks post tx, he was so dehydrated we had to have a nurse come to the house for daily IVs. His site does not believe in Peg tubes, so that was his only intake for some time. He struggled with getting about 1 protein drink down a day because he had terrible issues with thrush and mucositus.

The 3rd week post tx, he acquired a staph infection. And, the 4th week, the healing began...with the onset of more good days than bad.

He got serious about getting off of protein drinks about the 6th week. And, now eats (but does not always taste) a wide variety of foods.

He is off pain meds (at his max, he was on 10 oxycodone a day). He is driving short distances. And, he has accompanied me on two soccer tournament trips for our kids.

Fatigue remains an issue, finding foods that taste and feel right in his mouth is an issue. But, in general, I feel like my husband is back.

So, today, to celebrate his birthday we went out to dinner with the kids and had a really great time. We had much to celebrate and much to be grateful for. His next big milestone will be when he gets the ok to return to work. He is looking forward to that.

I appreciate the many people on this site who got me through this day by day on days I didn't think the nightmare would ever end. My love and thanks to all of you.

Each week our lives fall in closer to our new "normal"...a better normal, as my husband and I have grown to be quite a bit closer than the two busy ships that were passing in the night prior to the "c" diagnosis.

I wish you all the best.

God Bless,
Posted By: sharlee Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 12:20 AM
Happy Birthday Dan !! And Magaret you have been a great source of suporrt to many !!

Shar
Posted By: minniea Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 01:07 AM
Yeah for both of you Margaret! I've celebrated 5 birthdays since my diagnosis and each time felt like I had won the golden ticket.

Glad life is getting back to normal, he's far to young for it to be anything but.

Minnie
Posted By: Donnarose Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 12:05 PM
I wish I knew it was his b-day yesterday frown
If you ever told me the date, I apologize for not remembering. Please send him my love and best wishes.
I am happy for all of you.
Love,
Donna
Posted By: Cookey Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 03:59 PM
Margret i am so happy for you both,and so very proud of the way you traveled your journey.It seems like a very long time ago since you first posted,with all your worries and fears about the cancer and your marriage and look at you both now.

Happy birthday dan and may you have many many more.

love and hugs liz
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 05:01 PM
Margaret:

Happy Birthday to Dan. Im glad you went out to celebrate.

Dan has come so far, he is almost completly better now. Your timeline that you wrote is inspiring. He has gone thru a rough time, and I know it has been hard on you and your family. Day by day things get better.
Posted By: JAM Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-09-2007 10:45 PM
Margaret and Dan - Many more Happy Birthdays and New Normal Days to both of you. smile Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: ladyjoe Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-15-2007 11:39 PM
Margaret.
so glad to hear how well your husband is doing. I know you think this nitemare will never end but thank God it does. Its amazing when you celebrate how much you realize what you went through. And the celebrations are so much sweeter! Take care and enjoy each day.LJ
Posted By: mhupe Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-16-2007 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. Dan had his first 2 month CT scan yesterday. I was hoping they'd tell us everything was wonderful. Instead, all they could say is that the CT scan represented his new baseline and that another scan done in 2 months will give better insight as to how he responded to tx.

They think that he had a good response to treatment, and upon a visual inspection everything looked good.

We're still trying to figure out when he can return to work as his job requires travel and a lot of time on his feet. His doctor is going to talk to his HR person and figure out if there is a way he can transition back. Dan's biggest obstacle is fatigue...which comes and go and is getting better daily.
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-16-2007 06:06 PM
Margaret,

I dont know if Dan has the option to stay out of work until he knows he is ready but if he does please encourage him to do so. I had to return to work or lose everything. In my line of work it is full time only. I am very tired and I just ask the good Lord every night to give me the strength to make it until tommorrow. I ask Him when I wake up to please give me the strength to make it through the day. I am very happy for you and Dan and may the good Lord bless you both.

Billy
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-16-2007 08:35 PM
Margaret: Don't know how I missed your original post, just stumbled over it now. LATE Happy Birthday greetings to Dan!

God bless!

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: PHightower Re: My Husband's Birthday - 10-20-2007 01:48 AM
Happy belated birthday! It's so great to have these milestones to look BACK at. It's like a present for everyone! Looking forward to next year's with a cake that he Really tastes!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum