Marianne

Searching for meaningful statistics is something that every Cancer patient does. We all want some kind of answer to the burning question of our mortality that has suddenly become so concrete and immediate. Like Christine, I don't like the "official statistics" since they indicate my planned lifespan would be an anomaly. I have an additional reason to dislike statistics - my tumor both times was HPV 16+. Yet HPV tumors generally don't come back but die with the TX. Rubs salt in the wound that I can't get any satisfaction from statistics

Klo,

Actually, my ENT surgeon and RO both indicated that a one year anniversary for those of us who suffered a recurrence is hardly out of the woods. Those damn statistics all say 18 months is a far better milestone since cancers that recur are radiation & chemo resistant.
We all wish Christine the best and every day she remains Cancer free is indeed cause for celebration but since we're talking numbers here - it's always bleaker for those of us in the recurrence club.

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-23-2010 06:27 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13