Hi Susan,
Glad to hear that Dave is doing so well. In answer to your questions, I think time will be your friend on this one. Gordon has had pretty much the same experience and finished treatment around the same time as Dave.
He has to drink a sip of water with each bite of food and his portions are much smaller than they used to be (and this was a guy who was a *big* eater). Nothing he used to like tastes good anymore, and he gets bored with a particular dish very quickly. We're able to eat out (mostly Japanese or Greek right now), but he gets bored with that too. He's developed a taste for anything deep-fried, like fish and chips, kalimari, tempura etc. Definitely the way to a heart attack, but at least he's eating. We try not to have stuff like this at home, where he's getting rice, protein and vegetables. He's also developed a sweet tooth and has tried a few things on his own but luckily not a lot. Food has always been a great source of pleasure for him, but now it's just a chore. I think everything will "normalize" eventually, but never be exactly the same. I'm still pushing one "milkshake" a day, just to keep up the calories and nutrients, but he's starting to find them overly sweet, so I don't know how long that will go on.
What seems to work one day won't necessarily work the next. Just be patient and "go with the flow", because things may be in flux for quite awhile.
Anne, who is a fine one to talk about being patient!

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.