I only had the PEG for a few months but I can only imagine how difficult it must be. It is frustrating because so many soial activities involve food and gathering to eat is the most natural thing in the world. I started to just go with to dinners and just hang out. I tried to just enjoy peoples company and would just made sure I had enough jevity prior so that I wouldn't really have an appetite. I can't speak to how that would feel long term because I knew that eventually I would be off of the PEG. I can imagine it would extremely hard. I tried to focus on my other senses when I didn't have the pleasure of food. I got massages and read lots of books and watched lots of movies and still met friends but just didn't make it about food- I would meet them after the meal or at the end of the meal beacause I was just learning how to eat again and it was too stressful.

I wish I had more sage wisdom to give you. I'm so glad hat your husband has survived this disease and has made it and that you get to continue to have one anothers company. I think you should just take aside some of your closest friends in your circle of friends and let them know that you both want to see them socially but explain how difficult it i with the eating issue. It is hard for people to wrap thier head around the aftermath of this disease but I bet your close friends will be very compassionate and will still want you to participate in all of the social aspects of your lives before this happened. Your true friends will stick by you and include you will help you and will be compassionate.

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!