I am the daughter of an oral cancer patient. 1st we had squamous cell in his jaw. Radiation treatments were amazing terrible and the side effects are long lasting. Then just weeks later the squamous cell reappeared in his lower gum. This time a surgery that removed part of his lower jaw and 7 teeth. Due to the past radiation dad lost all his salivary glands and several more teeth. Had a little over a year to recover. Now its returned to his tongue and multiple tumors needing to be removed. Hes having difficulty swallowing/eating/talking. And he is in a great deal of pain.
Surgery to remove a good part of the tongue on the 23rd of Sept. Meeting with the medical team on the 13th.
Any advice for me and mom? We are the primary caregivers with some help from kids and grandkids.The trach and the feeding tube -how long do they stay? Anyone have any advice on the food prep for dad once he learns to swallow again?
Trying to set up relief for mom during the hospital stay besides me.Do we need a rehab center once dad gets out of the hospital? He wants to come home... any advice is welcome.