Hi Chuck - I have to say that being the mother of a cancer free 4 year survivor, any percentage at all of recurrence without radiation would be enough for me to opt for having the treatment. I got all anxious and stressed out no-sleep worrying for five days just waiting for the results of the CT scan my son had recently, while worrying about a recurrence, and it wasn't even happening to me! It's been said before, but everybody is different and some people just sail right through the radiation and others like my son really had a rough time of it. However during the radiation process, when things got pretty bad, they gave him a week off to heal a little before continuing. What would your doctors think about starting the radiation and having a break at some point if it got too rough on you? I'm sure there must be pros and cons about this that a doctor could explain or have an opinion. I do hope that whatever you decide, that everything goes well and smoothly!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)