Hi again - please listen to whatever your doctors want you to do. My husband has had 4 surgeries, including the neck dissection, starting at about age 57. He is almost 66 now and the last several check-ups have been satisfactory. He has had recurrences, all surgically removed, but has had a couple opinions that they would have occured with or without radiation, which was offered to him but not with any conviction by the doctors because of his clear margins, stage one, etc. You must stay on top of this with frequent check-ups and pay attention to any changes in your mouth, whichever direction you AND your doctors decide.
Now, can I have a name so I can put something after "Hi ____"? : ) My husband and I are Dick and Jane, and have traveled thru Mankato several times when we lived in Mn. Mayo is one of the top notch hospitals for cancer treatment, so you are seeing medical staff with expertise and experience that can guide you thru this process. PLEASE keep in touch! And ONWARD, Rock n' Roll! : )

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)