First off my name is Jeremy and I've been lurking these boards for a few days now deciding whether or not to post. My wife and I are both active duty Air Force and geographically separated until September and been that way since last September. I'm actually due to separate in another month so I can finally be with my family again. So as part of the separation process I'm required to get a full dental exam 90 days prior. During said exam my dentist noticed a small lesion on the right side of my tongue. I was extremely surprised to hear this since I've had absolutely no discomfort in my mouth. He then scheduled me with an oral surgeon for a biopsy. I've never, in my life, heard that word used in regards to myself. Needless to say I'm extremely frightened about what the results will be. My dentist did say he didn't think it was anything serious and the biopsy was strictly a "just in case" procedure which helped a little. It still scared the $!#% out of me. My biopsy is scheduled for this coming Monday and the wait is excruciating (it's already been a week since my dental exam). The human mind seems amazing at it's ability to jump straight to the worst possible outcome. And having a family member from every generation, including mine (cousin 4 years younger) lose their battle with cancer makes this even harder on me.

On a brighter note this whole experience has woken me up and I've quit smoking. It's a shame it took a scare like this to do it. I've been smoking for about 12 years now and have tried quitting several times only to fail. Looks like I've finally found a reason not to light up anymore.

One more thing I want to say is that everyone here seems, just, wonderful. Thank you all for showing such support to those of us that come here. I will update this thread when I get my results. Thank you all again for your support even though I may have nothing to worry about... God willing.

Last edited by JeremyR; 07-29-2010 08:42 PM.