Greg,

Welcome to the boards, I'm glad that you found our little group. What you will find here are people that have traveled a similar road as you...asking as many questions as you can is a good thing when you get the answers from people that have traveled that path.

I've had a mandiblectomy using my fibula as a replacement...my flap was actually made from tissue surrounding my fibula as opposed to the thigh as you've had. The leg hurt terribly for months after the surgery and I was stuck with a walker for most of that time...then graduated to a cane. Now, 2 years after surgery, I'm scooting around quite well. I went jogging on it a while back but spend most of my day running around a very busy restaurant and do very well. It still is sore at the end of the day though and will never be what it was. I did get cramping in it at first, still do occassionally, but was told to up my electolytes to help it. Potassium will help the cramping but be careful with the dosage...as always ask your Dr about supplements etc...

I do go to a speech therapist, I love that gal really. I noticed an improvement the more I went, she also tackled my swallowing issues. I'll never be like the "old me" but I see steady improvements...it's a journey really. I do recommend seeing a speech pathologist.

As far as the dry mouth...Biotene brand toothpaste, mouthwash and gum save me really. I still wake up in the morning with my mouth feeling like I went on a drinking binge, but the rest of the day is OK.

Hang in there Greg,

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.