Ok, so it has only been a couple of months since the op and treatment. My oncologist did mention some of the after effects, but I am not sure she told me everything. Could someone please shed some light.
Finally the Erbitux has worn off, I don't look like a 16 year old with acne. I was told it would wear off in 2 weeks, took like a month. I also don't know if it's from the radiation, I do find myself being tired all the time. The first time around I had no side affects, then again the radiation was not as harsh.
My cheeks are still swollen like I am retaining a lot of fluid, is this from the radiation?
My mouth is still extremely dry, especially at night. How long does this go on for, it feels like I am in the desert? I am trying to take my meals orally, but I seem to choke on the thicker foods. Water and cool drinks seem to go down well, but I suppose the fact that I have the flu may contribute to that. I hate this peg, but i suppose thats whats keeping me alive. What should I do regarding my speech, does it get better in time or would you recommend a therapist?
I apologize for all the questions, I am not expecting miracles at all, I just am trying to find answers from those who have already been through all this.
My first op was not so bad, I didn't need a peg and within a month I had healed up and was eating almost anything. I suppose I had not lost much then. Unfortunately now our lives have changed drastically and trying to find the reality of this may take a while.
One other thing,seems that I am on a roll.......has anyone had the jaw reconstruction using the fibula. I am just trying to find out how long the side effects of that take to heal. My feet cramp terribly some nights, asif I have bad circulation.
Anyway thanks for the read.

Still adapting, Greg

04.17.09-neck dissection, free thigh flap
06.01.09-rad.30 sessions
10.20.09-chemo.taxotere,5fu,sisplatin
02.16.10-radical bilateral neck dissection, resection of the mandible, full glossectomy, jaw reconstruction with fibula. g-tube
03.30.10-chemo.erbitux/rad. x46
05.28.10-MRI, all clear