The appointment did not go well yesterday. We spent more time talking about what complications my permanent trach was going to cause than what kind of problems I was going to have from the lumpectomy. And when I mentioned going to JEFF for a second opinion she almost threw me out. She asked who I was going to see, and when I told her, she laughed and said 'GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE'. I said 'what is that supposed to mean?', she refused to say anything else. When I asked her again at the end of the interview, she said 'a lot of things have happened in breast cancer since he studied', implying he is out of date. According to my gynocologist who recommended him, he is nationally known in the field. Who knows, but I don't want to go to a doctor that another one has questions about. I asked for a referral to HUP and she said she knew no one. I find that hard to believe. She did her residency there. I explained to her that I had no problem with her as my surgeon, that I disliked the hospital that she is operating out of because I had problems there before. She seemed to calm down after that and explained it is an outpatient procedure and only lasts two hours so I wouldn't be spending much time there.

Anyway, what I know. Tumor is less than 1 cm. so very early stage. Biopsy says 'ductal carcinoma in situ with high nuclear grade'. High nuclear grade is not good. I need to move fast. The biopsy of the calcification says no invasive carcimoma but the biospy of the breast says 'focus suspicious for microinvasion'. Not good. May mean it spread beyond duct.

When she called me with biopsy results, she told me very early stage, lumpectomy, probably no radiation and NO chemo. When I got there yesterday, she was talking about lumpectomy along with removing several of the lymph nodes in the underarm followed by radiation AND chemo. I was totally confused. She made no mention of BRAC1 BRAC@ or HER 2 tests and I forgot to ask.

They gave me a book to read on breast cancer. It said they test for lymph node involvement with dye and only remove them if they show involvement. I thought she said she would just remove them. I know she did not mention any dye. I have to call her nurse on this. If they take the lymph nodes, it sounds like the recuperation is worse than the neck dissections. No baths, no hair washing, no deodant, no moving arm, no this, no that for 6 weeks. That arm is already conpromised. I don't need this again unless absolutely necessary.

I have a call into HUP to the surgeon who did my laryngectomy for his recommendation for a breast cancer doc. His secretary just called back and said he is out today and will call me in Monday. She also said he could probably expedite an appt. I also have the name of my sister's breast cancer surgeon at Hahnemann. Problem is, I need to move quickly so I may be stuck with this local surgeon and hospital. Will keep you posted.

I think it has finally sunk in. I'm no fun to live with right now. Sorry for the tirade. I need to vent.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I