Hi John!

I read your blog and had the same rare type of cancer and surgery. I finished treatment in mid Sept 09. I had two biopsies (one was surgical, the other punch biopsy) and both came back low grade MEC, although with the path report post surgery, it ended up being high grade.

One thing I am thankful for is that during my surgery they had a pathologist present to take the tissue samples and test them until the dr got clear margins to prevent from taking extra unneccessary tissue.

Even with clear margins, I had radiation plus chemo post surgery. The doctors and myself wanted to make sure we gave it all we had, I would be crushed to find out that I had a reoccurence knowing their was more I could have done the first time around, KWIM? I wanted to make sure that even with clear margins, that radiation would zap away any lingering microscopic cancer cells that may have migrated.

That being said, it really is a choice you will have to be comfortable with. Something to think and talk about with your family then have a heart felt talk with your doctor and tell him your concerns. It's important you have trust and peace with your doctor, so if it means getting another opinion then I would do it. I saw numerous doctors before I was comfortable with a treatment plan.

Good luck with your decision!

Welcome to OCF!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk