G'day everyone. I am an Aussie expat currently living in Canada. I found a lump in my tongue years ago but never thought much of it. Recently, after getting severe and sharp ear pains I consulted ENT doctors and finally looked at the lump. I was diagnosed with a rare salivary cancer - in my tongue (Stage 2/3). I have had 2 procedures done, the first was minor, the second was major. A hemiglossectomy, removal of all lymph nodes on the left side of my neck and some salivary glands. Grafted from my thigh, I now have a somewhat hairy half tongue. After the second operation, I was informed that there was absolutely no sign of cancer found in any of the tissues that were removed. I was floored. Did I have this procedure unnecessarily. I don't know. I am now contemplating whether to do radiation. I have little faith in doctors at the moment and am looking for input from some others.
I created a blog at the following site if anyone wants to take a look. I created a journal on this page which I updated along the way. http://jdcree.shutterfly.com/anewjourney
If anyone does want to read it, open a journal entry and click the back arrow to get to "35 of 35" for example to start at the beginning.
I don't expect people to read this but I did find it helpful to do this both for myself and others who wanted to know what was happening to me but didn't want to bother me or even to ask.