Barry,

Each of us can respond differently to the same treatment especially when you consider the variables that can come into play, i.e., field of radiation, duration and intensity of the radiation to one particular area, type of delivery system, RO setup experience, etc. Most that receive the radiation do suffer a decline in saliva and corresponding taste but many do recover a great deal.

Our recovery from the concurrent chemo/radiation can take all of 2 years and I remember my biggest saliva/taste improvement came in month 15 post Tx so don't give up yet. I'm would guess that I have recovered say 90% of my taste and saliva but that is a very subjective conclusion as we quickly forget what the 100% level was to begin with.

I also suffered permanent hearing loss from the Cisplatin but so far I can function without hearing aids.

I also must take Synthroid for my damaged thyroid.

All in all I'm completely satisfied considering the alternative.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.