Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and am here for my mother. She has larynx cancer. It's squomus cell which I know is the same with most oral cancers. I couldn't find a good larynx cancer forum, and i've been following the threads here, it seems very supportive and informative.

As you can imagine, I feel like I'm going through a never ending horror tunnel. It's been more than a year now since she's been diagnosed and I still wake up every morning wishing it was a bad trip. I pretend to be strong but I'm feeling very torn. It really breaks my heart and literally hurts my body to see her go through this.

My mother was diagnosed with stage 1 larynx cancer on December 2008. Since it was caught very early drs said there's a very high chance that RT alone should destroy the cancer. Sadly, not only it didn't cure her cancer, it had it spread to her lymph nodes which really really scares me.

They removed most of her larynx and did a neck dissection on September 2009 and couldn't do a second radiotherapy. She also had an extra capsular spread in 1 lymph node. Her first PET/CT (December 09) was clean and we burst into tears from instant relief. But in a week from today, she'll have her second checkup (a neck MRI) and I'm very stressed out. I'm scared because they only did a neck dissection and no treatments after.

My question is, how bad is this? Do you think there's a chance it won't come back? What happens if it comes back in the neck, will they just leave it to be? I usually hear that a RT needs to be done after ND but my mother didn't have that chance.

I'm the only one in my family who does some research. My mother isn't even aware of how dangerous her situation is which I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. My dad refuses to look things up online. I'm an only child and I just feel quite lonely being the only one aware of how fatal her situation might be. I just don't think i can exist without her. So that's why i'm here, for some support.

Much love and strength to everyone who's going through this.

Thank you!

Mother, 53
SCC of the larynx, stage 1- December 2008
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT shows recurrance, 1 lymph node involvement- August 2009
Partial laryngectomy+neck dissection- Sep 2009
1 cancerous lymph node, 1.5 cm, extra capsular spread.
no other treatments after.
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN