I remember Carol had worked as a Cook (very good one I will add) at one of a world-renowned sports venue. Excellent reviews, well liked by Chefs, fellow employees, "sport stars" and the public. Assumed additional responsibilities of kitchen manager who had taken maternity leave. When it came time for the yearly bonus, they didn't want to give it to Carol....Made up one excuse to another. I went through the employee handbook, page by page, word by word, highlighting the will, will not, maybes of everything relevant to pay, bonuses, etc. I typed a letter (I sound like a dinosaur!) stating all the facts, people Carol had talked to, times, dates and referenced all the pages I had highlighted in the handbook that I thought were pertinent. Then I mailed a certified copy to everyone, her immediate boss, HR, CEO, CFO. Carol was called into the "office", the lawyers were there and they acknowledged "their" mistake, but Carol had to sign a document saying to receive her bonus she will not sue the "sports venue" then or anytime thereafter. Basically until Carol's bloodline was gone from this world!! (I tried to tell Carol beforehand NOT to sign ANYTHING to get her bonus.) But Carol signed the document and got her bonus. All she wanted was her much deserved and earned bonus, nothing more. After that she quit, a major hotel chain heard she was available and she ended up working there....with more pay and benefits. But the kicker was the lawyers had to rewrite the handbook...too many loopholes. LOL

I agree with Eric and do your homework. You'll have to make a case with HR. HR's interest is focused on the Company not the employees. They are legally obligated by law to do just so much for the employee. You had cancer, the treatments have affected your speech, you have all the documentation...a case could probably be made for discrimination. IMO.

Linda

CG/Carol 57;SCC Stage IV L Tonsil T4N2bM0 12/2009
Recur 7/2010 - 2cm mass Invasive SCC L Floor Lower Jaw
Surgery 8/10 - Trach,ND,p. mandibulectomy,pec flap
ypT4aN0 HG Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
2nd Recur 1/18/11 - Tumor lower left lip
Surgery 2/9/11 - Canceled - Inoperable
3/29/11 - Died