Dental trays are primarily used for cosmetic purposes, such as teeth whitening so I haven't heard, yet, of any insurance co., dental or medical paying for them. Unfair - yes, but much of life is. Like John above my dentist made them for me gratis. Small reward for not referring me sooner to an ENT after my repeated requests of "What the hell is this large tan rubbery blob in my throat, pushing my uvula to the side?"...

They were 200 bucks (if I had to pay for them) at the time and they had to do a full mouth impression. They should be stored on the full mouth impression mold(s) to keep their shape. I still use mine 7 years post Tx. Your gums are going to take a beating from the radiation you will need them.

Look on the bright side - at least he has his teeth. Trays are very cheap insurance. You can write them off.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)