Angelia, I second everyone's good words. My mucousitis lasted a good 8 months after RT. I also had a mouth and throat full of open sores for what seemed like months. As a result I too was reluctant to do the baking soda gargle thing. All I can say to that is to try and force yourself if at all possible, as it will help. Even if you have to do the lidocaine thing first. (I had to hold the stuff in my mouth for a full 10 minutes before I could swallow even a sip of Ensure, for instance; water a bit easier but not much)

But then, over the course of about a month, the mucous thing pretty much stopped. I gather from reading posts here that it takes differing lengths of time for each of us.

You WILL get better. It's an awful, awful thing to go through (I was nauseated 24 hours a day for 3 months last year) but you'll beat it.

Courage!
David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18