Thank you all for your messages of support. It is a great comfort today to see that I can get some answers for my sister.

She has not been able to provide me with as much information as I'd hoped. The first doctor (who did the biopsy) told them that the cancer was stage 1B--those are my sister's words; I am not sure if she has this correct. She admitted that much of what the doctor told her was way over their heads. I have suggested that she take a note pad to appointments and to jot down key words and instructions that I can research for her later. She said she will do this.

Anyway, I understand the need to act aggressively with this type of cancer, so I am glad the fine folks at UVA are doing what needs to be done.

As for other details, I am not sure what type of cancer. My sister thinks it is SCC, but again, the terminology was bouncing around all over the place and seemed a blur. I have suggested she call the doctor's nurse this week to go over the details again (in plain English!) because it was just too much to grasp when they first met the surgeon.

When I find out more, I'll post the details here. Thank you so much for your support.