Hi, this is my first post although I've been registered for a while.

My brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with tongue cancer and will need a total glossectomy and neck dissection to be followed with radiation.

He is 41 and has no insurance.

The surgery will be done at University of Virginia in Charlottesville in three weeks.

My sister wanted me to do some research for her. What I am finding is hair-raising. I'm really not sure what to tell her. The local doctors led her to believe that things weren't so bad...then when she and her husband went to UVA, they heard a much scarier scenario.

She has no internet and is not very tech-savvy. I asked her if he would need a PEG tube or anything like that, and she said the doctor didn't say (or she couldn't remember). She thinks that he will be in hospital for only three days.

Is that possible? To have a major surgery like that, and to be spit out on the street after three days because (I assume) of no insurance?

It is all so frightening and has happened so fast. Apparently he had a sore tongue for a few weeks and ignored it until he couldn't eat! He has always been so quiet and kind and has the sweetest laugh. I am so sad this is happening to them. They have three boys. The youngest is 13.

I'm not sure why I am posting other than to just have an outlet for my anxiety.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have to share about this situation.