Thanks everyone for your stories. It is so helpful to hear from people who have been touched by this disease. I can't believe the suffering it put you through Christine. Your story gives me a lot of hope, but also some fear for what may lay ahead. It is still so new for us that I am in that "very-pissed-off-at-cancer" phase - particularly oral cancer, although I know all cancers are awful. Maybe that never goes away.

My mom is still in ICU, but she is showing more signs of life. More alert, moving a bit more, etc. Progress helps.

I hope I can convince my mom to join this group and connect with people who can relate to her story and where she can find support. The stories of recurrence and multiple surgeries is a little frightening, though, at this moment...so, it may take her feeling much stronger and recovery from this phase before she's ready to see some of that.

I wish the best to you all. It truly is a horrific disease - and I didn't mean to imply by my original post that it's any less horrific for someone who smoked. Either way, no one should have to go through this. The strength of everyone who undergoes treatment is truly inspiring.

Theresa
p.s. Ginny, my brother is here for two weeks helping out, so I'm not alone in the ICU with her. It definitely helps.

daughter to Julie, 71, lower gum cancer patient, bilateral dissection, removal of lower teeth and gums, several lymph nodes and right lobe of thyroid gland 11/17/09. Recovering in ICU.