Hi there. This is my first time on this forum. I am in a hospital waiting room outside the ICU where my mom is really suffering after surgery to remove her lower teeth and gums and part of her jaw bone due to squamous cell sarcoma.

She is 71 and prior to her diagnosis a month ago was the picture of health for her age. It is devastating and hard not to give in to regret regarding having the surgery when she is now on day 3 of misery after surgery. She never smoked or chewed tobacco, but she is now having difficulty keeping her oxygen levels b/c of fluid in her lungs from the surgery. She is in such incredible discomfort and angst. I am having a very difficult time watching her suffer.

Is there anyone out there who can provide me some of their own experience with a loved one after surgery...once they've fully recovered. Is life ok? How long did they spend in ICU? How long were they miserable? How is life once they heal?

My heart is broken for my mom right now.

Thank you for any help.

daughter to Julie, 71, lower gum cancer patient, bilateral dissection, removal of lower teeth and gums, several lymph nodes and right lobe of thyroid gland 11/17/09. Recovering in ICU.