Hi Rob,
I had an ugly experience with JHU. My brother new a guy in high places who recommended I call a surgeon from JHU. I paid for it on my own nickel and met him. I wasn't even aware that I should have tried to see an ONCOLOGIST, not a surgeon; I was so green I didn't even know what an ONC was.

He just pushed surgery the whole way. It was a turnoff. He even said he'd present to the tumor board (a group of diff docs who make a group decision) and he didn't. However, in looking for an ONC at JHU after that, I found out that they only have ONE H&N one there as the other one had retired. She supposedly came out of retirement but only took appts one day a week to help out.

So although JHU gets high marks for Cancer research and expertise, I am not confident that they're experts in the H&N field.

Joel

Age 49, HPV 16+ SCC, T1N2bM0, Stage IV R Tonsil, 2 nodes, nonsmoker, lite drinker, 100 mile/wk biker, workout, play hockey, Tx:10/26--12/15/09, IMRT x35 70Gy, no surgery, Cis 1st rnd til some tinnitus loss after day 2, carbo next 3 wks, Peg in 3rd wk;still ate some solids 6th wk. 2012/05 Still Clean