Thanks for the the kind words Wendy and Gabe. I really don't feel that I have done anything worthy of being defined as inspirational, I just play the hand the I have been dealt and figure that I should face all treatments and surgery with optimism. If I don't I think I may as well throw my cards in now!

In some respects I have to count myself as lucky, I have avoided grafts, trachs, PEGs and Ports - so far. I have a feeling, though, that with the intensity of my forthcoming treatment I will require a PEG or maybe a naso-gastric feeding tube. Last time around my tongue and the RHS of my mouth/neck was not included in the radiation field but this time they will be so I may not be able to maintain my nutrition as well as needed without assistance. Time will tell!

Cookey - the cut on the left side of my neck is barely visible even with the staples in - it is amazing how the surgeons manage to put their cuts in places that eventually render them almost invisible. The RHS doesn't appear to be in a crease but I think that is because of the location of the affected nodes - it should heal to be almost invisible, though. I actually haven't had my hair cut since I finshed radiation last year so it covers almost all of my neck if I don't tie it back! Keeping my hair long will also help hide the hair loss from radiation. There are definate advantages in having long hair when going through treatments!

We only had one lot of 'trick or treaters' last night (most people don't celebrate Halloween in Australia) and my husband did the honours at the front door. One big plus in being sick is I can get other people to answer the telephone and the door - normally it's 'Mum' or 'Sue' can you get that! I also don't have to cook, clean or do the washing! Suddenly my brood are able to do things for themselves and me. AMAZING.

Sue

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10
L buccal SCC 10/10