I like what I learned from it also. My issue is proactively incorporating it into my life. Choices. That's what it boils down to. You really have to WORK to make them. It is so easy to fall back into the old ways.

I was really different before cancer, interested in getting ahead at all costs, focused on ME, and a longer list of negatives that I won't list here since I'm embarrassed that I was that guy. But in my "new" life, I make choices, consciously, every day, and they are so different than before. I live my life differently, in almost every way. I relish a great relationship, I make time to nurture it and let it develop. I want to learn something new every day. I guess that the pendulum on the "life is service part" has swung pretty far to the other side. I don't have an extended family other than my wife, but I have a network of friends that I love like family, and an extended one through OCF. I no longer treat my body like a rental car. And speaking of cars, the high end Euromobile is now a hybrid Prius. I eat differently, choosing not only what is good for me but what is good for the planet. (Does that sound new age or what?) I have one luxury/escape, and that is being upside down and twisted around in an aerobatic plane. I no longer suffer fools. This list could go on and on.... but the net of it is that I am a completely different person. I don't live in one of the green zones of the world, but I can create my own around me. Brian 2.0 - New and improved... well everything but my swallowing and saliva.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.