Posted By: hisnibs Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 01:48 AM
Kefir is similar to yogurt. I like it because it is a little different. Anyone tried it here? It is easy to get down like a thick beverage. It is made by Lifeway products. A bit heavy on sugars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 04:33 AM
There are a lot of brands of dairy products that have active cultures in them and keifer is only one, as are some brands of yogurt. Personal opinion - I regularly add one of the culture containing products to bowls of fruit, cereals, etc. because it help balance the natural healthy flora in your intestines. It's as close to a desert that I can manage.
Posted By: Jenka Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 09:46 AM
I love kefir. Since the last two-three weeks of treatments, however, it is incredibly painful to drink it - it causes an awful burning sensation. I haven't had it in weeks, so it's possible that it's gotten better, but I'm afraid to try. There's got to be some acid there that's not good for my irradiated mouth. Boo.
Posted By: hisnibs Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 01:56 PM
It is quite sour. I didn't think of how it might react to my mouth after radiation. My concerns are around finding a diverse group of foods for surviving after all of my treatments.
I am hoping to put Kefir on that list.
Posted By: hisnibs Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 02:13 PM
From Wikipedia

Kefir has antimutagenic and antioxidant properties, and can possibly be used to prevent mutagenic and oxidative damage in the human body [4]. One can change the nutrient content by simply fermenting for shorter or longer periods. Both stages have different health benefits. For instance, kefir over-ripened (which increases the sour taste) significantly increases folic acid content.[5] Kefir also aids in lactose digestion as a catalyst, making it more suitable than other dairy products for those who are lactose intolerant.[6] The kefiran in kefir has been shown to suppress an increase in blood pressure and reduce serum cholesterol levels in rats.[7]

Posted By: Jenka Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 02:21 PM
Folic acid must be it. Yogurt doesn't give me this reaction, but greek yogurt and kefir do. And I like both far far more than yogurt. And it's so so healthy. All in due time, I guess.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 07:48 PM
I wouldn't trust wiki, even if it was the only source in the world. Try going to the topic and typing in keifr will make young women/ men chase you down the street with desire. There is nothing to stop you form doing that, and It will live there for some indefinite amount of time till someone comes back and corrects it. How many people will read it before it gets corrected?

I wouldn't count on these probiotics (in the levels that they can be used by normal consumers) to be antimutagenic or any other claim of the like. If it were as simple as that, we'd all just drink kefir during our lives, and never get cancer.... and we all know it ain't so.
Posted By: hisnibs Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-24-2009 11:37 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am not cure mongering. I am simply looking for food which has the potential to add worthy nutrition and diversity to my diet. I was raised on the same foods over and over so I am thinking that I am not getting true nourishment doing that. However am also hoping to produce my meals with local ingredients as they seem fit. laugh
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-25-2009 12:32 AM
If you have not read the book Green Zones, you may find it interesting since it talks about longevity in these various communities around the world where people routinely live to ripe old ages, often over 100 while still healthy and productive. In several of them yogurt based products are part of their diets. There is a lot to learn from the manner in which the people in these communities live their lives. But to net it out, and not to spoil it for those that may wish to read it; exercise, usually through meaningful work each day, not at the gym, - diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and healthy proteins (more fish and free range animals than factory farmed red meat) and eaten in moderation - a genuine sense of community and shared experiences with extended family and those in the same community (mental health and less stress) - and some sense that a life of quality is partly spent in service to others.
Posted By: hisnibs Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-25-2009 02:28 AM
I like all that. Sounds worth a plan.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-25-2009 03:01 AM
I like what I learned from it also. My issue is proactively incorporating it into my life. Choices. That's what it boils down to. You really have to WORK to make them. It is so easy to fall back into the old ways.

I was really different before cancer, interested in getting ahead at all costs, focused on ME, and a longer list of negatives that I won't list here since I'm embarrassed that I was that guy. But in my "new" life, I make choices, consciously, every day, and they are so different than before. I live my life differently, in almost every way. I relish a great relationship, I make time to nurture it and let it develop. I want to learn something new every day. I guess that the pendulum on the "life is service part" has swung pretty far to the other side. I don't have an extended family other than my wife, but I have a network of friends that I love like family, and an extended one through OCF. I no longer treat my body like a rental car. And speaking of cars, the high end Euromobile is now a hybrid Prius. I eat differently, choosing not only what is good for me but what is good for the planet. (Does that sound new age or what?) I have one luxury/escape, and that is being upside down and twisted around in an aerobatic plane. I no longer suffer fools. This list could go on and on.... but the net of it is that I am a completely different person. I don't live in one of the green zones of the world, but I can create my own around me. Brian 2.0 - New and improved... well everything but my swallowing and saliva.
Posted By: Bonniey Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-27-2009 04:04 PM
Great words Brian. I love reading far more then writing so I follow along on this board by reading and adding some of my thoughts as I step out of my shell. As our family comes out of this experience for the second time I know that none of us will be unscathed. We have been working towards the kind of life you ascribe to above as we make our "Choices". God bless you and the work you have started and accomplished here with OCF.

Bonnie
Posted By: EzJim Re: Kefir and probiotics - 07-28-2009 12:46 AM
I have found that anything sweet or sour make my mouth burn and have for the last 2 years.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum