Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200757 03-30-2021 06:09 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Just had my first Carboplatin / Paraplatin and Paclitaxel / Taxol treatment on Thursday (5 days ago).

Day of: felt great, ate dinner, went to bed

Next day: started anti nausea meds as directed, but no appetite. Able to get Boost Plus down in the morning, but burped it up warm and frothy several hours later and was barely able to get another down than night. With a couple glasses of juice I took in about 1000 calories.

Next day, similar. Got ahold of the nurses, they were concerned about no BMs since Wednesday, so we started laxatives. That got better the next day.

As of yesterday I can't get the Boost down any longer. I've yet to actually vomit, but it just churns my stomach. Got some Mac and cheese, a toaster waffle, and some ramen down, but likely 1000 calories or less.

QUESTIONS
I know I need to increase calories, but anything milky is just not doable.

I feel like a zombie and I think it's because of all the anti nausea meds (ondansetron, compazine, lorazepam), so I'm trying to wean off. I think the more I can walk, etc the more my bowels will move and keep the path clear for new food.

Any insight on how you or your loved ones felt on this chemo? Any similar issues or advice?

This is palliative. If I am going to feel like this I'll likely pull the plug in the chemo. The symptoms from the cancer sucked, but I could work and hike a bit. Right now I'm scared to get in the shower because I feel like I might pass out in there. -Do you think this will continue getting worse or can they really dial meds in to make me able to take in calories and not a zombie?

There's probably more, but I'm losing focus. TIA for you'r reply.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

now i am not the one who had OC but am the spouse of one who did so I don't know what it's like to have cancer but I recently got hospitalized for a really bad peptic ulcer. I had been throwing up off and on for weeks and had a shot to stop throwing up. I got so weak, I was afraid to take a shower as I was very weak. I was eating a few hundred calories a day for at least a month. I tell you this because you will continue to get weaker and it gets out of control. I was fainting often as well.

So some cyber hugs to you and I hope you get some answers quickly.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

When you spoke to the nurses, did they say this is only for the few days right after chemo? Usually, the nausea after chemo lasts only for two or three days and you are back to normal. My husband had palliative chemo as well and the nausea didn’t last for more than a week. While that’s happening, he just had whatever he could and drank a lot of water to prevent dehydration. Anything dairy also seemed to be a problem. I would suggest talking to the nurses again and see what their suggestion is, or try to go in and see your doctor and see if they could give you a strong anti-emetic for the nausea.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

The nurses are definitely more concerned with fluid in and bowel movements than calories in, but haven't really specifically said not to worry about it.

They are trying to get me a more powerful patch type anti nausea medication for the next round.

I've asked many times what to expect going forward and no one has said this should pass and I should feel good again before next round. I'd love to hear that as it'd make this much easier to go through.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

I remember my husband had several courses of chemo. It was done at home and he took it in pill form. So, your experience is likely to repeat itself, but asking them for stronger anti emetics and take them before the queasiness starts is a good way to go.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

UPDATE for those in my shoes who come across this in the future. This particular chemo cocktail hasn't been that bad for me. It takes about a week to start to feel myself again. And day 3 after infusion is pretty miserable, but I get 2 weeks of feeling pretty normal and leading an active life for a 45 year old before having to go through it again. With my anti-nausea pills figured out it's not that bad.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23