Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200011 04-03-2020 01:48 AM
Micki Offline OP
OP Offline

My partner just finished rads and chemo, thank goodness. He is having a huge problem with throat secretions. About every half hour it builds up in his throat and he has to cough it up. He gets no rest, his throat is raw, can’t swallow. Tried a vaporizer, mucinex, soda water, nothing has helped. He needs some kind of relief and frankly I’m a bit tired of hearing it’s just side effects. Oh and right now he’s in the hospital with a blood clot in his lung! Thank you for any suggestions.

Micki #200012 04-03-2020 07:21 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wow! Im so sorry to hear about your partner being hospitalized right after finishing rads. I will never forget those horrible few weeks at the end of rads and beginning of the recovery phase... some of the hardest days/nights Ive ever been thru. When you are right there going thru it, suffering or being the caregiver watching the person you love suffer being unable to help them is agony!!! Hearing the condescending "its the side effects everyone goes thru" does nothing to help you to help the patient get thru it easier. Only those who have gone thru it themselves or helped a close family member (someone living in their household) go thru it they can NOT fully understand what it is like at all.

Since your partner is currently in the hospital ask his doc to write an order for the nurses to use the suction machine on him every hour or 2 which should significantly help him clear the excess mucous. When he is sent home, you can also get a portable suction machine by the doc writing a prescription. Make sure you get the prescription for a portable suction machine if he is still experiencing mucous issues when he is discharged. A medical supply company will provide your partner with a portable suction machine and hopefully they will show you both how to use it. I know its horrible but the mucous should be a temporary issue, at least it is for most patients. Then one day or night it seems to just stop all by itself and the next day the mucous issue turns into the "dry mouth phase" which can last for years. Dry mouth isnt as bad as the excessive post rads mucous or what a great many OC patients have... the thick ropey gunky mucous that feels like its impossible to cough up.

During the beginning of the recovery phase most OC survivors feel horrible!!! Around 3 weeks after finishing rads they will notice they're beginning to feel slightly less crappy one day. Thats the point many term as "crawling out of the tunnel". Its a sign the worst is finally behind you now and although its not completely over yet, your partner is on the right track and showing improvements. Recovery can be a long, frustrating time, patients recover at their own pace. Dont be surprised if you see days, maybe even weeks of improvements then out of nowhere you see the patient go backwards with other recovery issues blindsiding him. Set backs can and will happen to almost every person going thru rads for OC. The only thing any of us are able to do is focus on the controllable which is his intake and ensure a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz water are done every single day no matter what for at the very least the first year after finishing rads. A total recovery takes 2 years so there is a tremendous amount of healing to go thru. Focusing on intake when patients struggle to eat or keep anything down is NOT easy but its necessary to get the patient thru their recovery phase. One issue many go thru is when patients throw up or have diarrhea, everything that comes out must be put back in. Skimping a day here and there is a common issue many in recovery will experience.... BUT!!!! If skimping, thinking they will make it up the next day instead turns into a vicious cycle of playing "catch up" and tomorrow never comes so the patient is unable to take the extra calories in as they thought they would do. I cant stress the importance of a higher intake enough, it is what can make or break patients. From what Ive seen with hundreds of patients who start the "make it up tomorrow" game... in the end they ALL greatly suffer far more than they should. If they had listened and followed the daily bare minimums as directed to do their bad days would be very, very few where they would begin to feel better and have a significantly easier time with their recovery.

Im wishing you all the very best with everything you both are going thru!!! Hoping your partner turns around very soon and gets to go back home. One other very important thing I forgot to mention is your partner is a VERY high risk patient!!! After just completing rads his resistance is nil!!! Im sure the blood work would show he has a severely compromised immune system at this time . Its imperative you need to keep him isolated, far away from people, stores, etc. Frequent hand washing, limited expose to the general public, using hand sanitizer and all the other precautionary advice thats been given on how to avoid contracting the Coronavirus must be followed to keep him safe.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Micki Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you! It’s so good to hear from someone who knows what we are talking about. Interestingly enough when he came home from surgery we had a sunction machine. I have called for the machine to returned but it hasn’t happened so I will get it going when he comes home. I will also ask the nurses to get something going there. It’s so darn hard to not be able to be there in person and he’s having trouble talking.

For sure we are being super careful to keep him away from all those bad germs out there. I am so very careful to not bring anything home.

I just so want him to feel better and come home!

Thank you again and again.

Micki #200015 04-03-2020 03:21 PM
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

Micki,

Do you know if the clot in his lung is due to deep veined thrombosis? My husband developed the condition first in one leg and then in the other after the second dose of Cisplatin. If so, a daily injection will take care of it. What I learned from the oncologist that DVT is a very common condition in cancer patients. Because my husband’s cancer metastasized, he was using the injection till the very end. The doctor at the Thrombosis Clinic forgot one time and told him to stop the injections. The oncologist nearly went through the roof when she heard it and sorted it out for us on the spot.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
gmcraft #200016 04-03-2020 06:11 PM
Micki Offline OP
OP Offline

They’ve checked his legs and they’re clear. Really have no clue the origin of the clot. I know they mentioned injections but not sure yet. Thanks for the info in cisplatin, we hadn’t heard about that side effect.

Take care

Micki #200017 04-04-2020 04:47 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

No, it wasn’t a side effect of Cisplatin, cancer sufferers tend to get DVT. That’s what I was as told.

Last edited by gmcraft; 04-04-2020 08:24 AM. Reason: Typo

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
gmcraft #200027 04-08-2020 04:23 AM
Micki Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankfully he’s home and improving, even the secretions aren’t “quite as bad” as they were last week. One day at a time.

Micki #200028 04-08-2020 07:15 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

That’s good to hear. It’s truly one day a a time.

Gloria

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics