Posted By: ConnieT 1 yr update - 08-10-2019 02:19 PM
I did not go to a day's worth of appts with husband. He saw all the doctors, had a CT scan. It was 1 yr ago this week that a feeding tube was inserted which was the worst part of it all according to him as it never fit correctly and he had a lot of pride to stumble over before he would use it. He lost 60 lbs in 2 months from starvation and after some hospitalization.

Haven't heard about CT scan results but he was put on another form of antibiotic for a sinus infection he can't shake. they sent in a sample to determine what bacteria (?) he is dealing with.

He doesn't see the radiation oncologist for 6 months so he has graduated from the 3 month visits to 6 months at least for 1 doctor out of the 3.

You would never know he had cancer. He can eat anything he wants and no more burning. His voice is normal. He still eats a horrible diet of fast food and frozen processed stuff like before frown , working full time, still a bit tired but he works a desk job 40 hours a week and has a mowing business, I'd be tired too.

We seem to be surrounded by people with cancer lately. Just lost a friend to pancreatic cancer. Met her 30 yrs ago this week at my first date with husband. Daughter in law has a dad (liver and kidney cancer) and a brother (prostrate cancer but doing ok now). My daughter's father in law had prostrate cancer. Walking thru it gives one a new appreciation of the cancer journey as others walk thru it.

just a little update for those who have carried me along this difficult journey the past year.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: 1 yr update - 08-10-2019 04:20 PM
That’s good news, Connie. I can’t believe it was a year ago that you first came onto the forum. Time really flew!
Posted By: PaulB Re: 1 yr update - 08-10-2019 05:16 PM
Congratulations to you and your husband completing one year. It was a lot of ups and downs during that time, but you pushed him though to complete treatment, which is most important! Hopefully he will see other positive effects of a healthy lifestyle.

I’m surprised the Radiation oncologist pdropped his visitation! Mine were the same for all doctors they see you til 5 years. Each year they have a certain time they want to see you. And. Of course, you can see them anytime for anything unusual or suspect!

Good luck with everything!
Posted By: Mokie Re: 1 yr update - 08-11-2019 04:29 PM
Does my heart good to hear he’s so active after overcoming so much. Was not a member of the forum at that time to have followed his pathway, but he and your both sound amazing. I have the greatest respect for anyone who has gone through OC treatment. Hooray for you both.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 1 yr update - 08-12-2019 01:18 PM
Hi Connie!!!

Its been a year already??? I cant believe its been that long so quickly, where did the time go?

CONGRATS!!!!!

You have been a great caregiver!!! You sure had your work cut out for you with your "stubborn" patient who marched to the beat of a different drummer. His bad diet and habit of not following doctors orders really made caregiving a challenge. Factoring in his huge weight loss makes your husbands speedy recovery amazing! I cant imagine how things would have gone without you there trying to keep him on track.

Im hoping you are able to get back to your usual routines now that your husband has recovered. Best wishes with everything!!! smile
Posted By: ConnieT Re: 1 yr update - 08-12-2019 07:00 PM
thanks everyone.

I suppose i worry a little too much about recurrence as he seems a bit arrogant about it all now. Time will tell.

I've so appreciated all the info, experience and encouragement. I will continue to check in and read other's stories as many of you feel like old friends.
Posted By: MWalsh Re: 1 yr update - 12-27-2019 02:31 AM
Thank you. I'm new to this group and this cancer life. My husband was recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the bilateral throat and base of tongue/ tonsil. Stage IV. Your post has given me hope. It is what I needed to read tonight.

May this new year bless you with another million of happy years.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum