Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Brian in the News - 11-12-2007 10:42 AM
Contagious cancers
The Boston Globe Contagious Cancer
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Brian in the News - 11-12-2007 10:37 PM
Thanks for noticing, but these interviews happen all the time and I really don't have any profound insights in most of them. Today I was interviewed by USA Today, which will appear next week. Sometimes they ask the right questions and you can get something out that might make a difference, sometimes it is just my cancer journey story which is not much different than anyone else's. Most of the time the writers have the story (right or wrong) in their mind that they wish to tell, and anything that I can say to move it in a more productive directon is in vain. I quit counting at 55 interviews in the print media or on TV. Truth be told, I am just not that interesting.... and I am certainly way too unattractive to be on TV as much as I am. Bottom line - you keep trying to get the message out there every opportunity that you can.

Here's the take away from all this. Each of you has a story to tell. Personal battles, hpv angle, and more. If you contact the medical reporter at your local paper or TV station, I bet many of you will find yourselves in the mix of it all, telling the early detection story and helping change the world. Anyone that wants help with talking points etc. just contact me if you find an opportunity.
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Brian in the News - 11-14-2007 06:33 PM
The Globe story was very well-positioned in the print edition -- lead article (with full-color graphics) on the front page of the Health/Science section. Really attention-grabbing.

Cathy
Posted By: AdeleE Re: Brian in the News - 11-21-2007 07:16 AM
I find this extremely interesting, for myself I contracted a terrible virus that a relative brought back from a cruise trip, worst virus and ultimate sinus infection I have ever experienced and a year later I found a lump in my mouth that turned out to be salivary gland cancer. When I asked my oncoligist how long I had been dealing with the cancer, he said, he thought it had started about 1 year ago. I really believe it began with the infection! I can find no other reason!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum