Posted By: Brian Hill words - 12-03-2004 08:04 PM
In 2005 OCF will be involved in several very public events. A walk to raise awareness in VA (thank you Minnie for taking the reigns of this idea with your 400 cheerleaders), numerous free public screening events in cooperation with dental schools all around the US on the weekend of April 9-10, and a celebrity fundraiser golf tournament to be held in Malibu in memory of Bruce Paltrow, benefiting OCF. We need to develop some of those catchy sayings that get tied to organizations and events. Breast cancer has "Walk for a cure." Lance Armstrong has his "LiveStrong" mantra on everything, etc. OCF needs to have a similar set of cut lines that we tie to ourselves. With all the creative minds out there, I thought I would post this so people could put their ideas into the project. We have some that ring nicely for our newly diagnosed patient materials such as "Strive to Survive & Thrive
Posted By: minniea Re: words - 12-04-2004 01:25 AM
I almost posted something like this Brian but wanted it to come from you. I agree with Brian that we need one saying, one color, one THING that will make people think of Oral Cancer and what we are trying to accomplish.
I love the breast cancer theme "promise", the promise to not stop until a cure is found. We need something like that, even if we piggy back on someone elses idea, connect ourselves in a way that also compliments their campaign. I have tossed around a few ideas but I am simply not the creative type. I like the word "Believe". We could use that to hook onto the "Promise" campaign. We "Believe" there will be a cure someday. We can achieve if we believe. Something like that. I also like the idea of having something that is related to our mouth, voice, words, etc. It's where oral cancer hits us. Raising our Voices, Voices Raised, something like that.
I think we need a color also and Brian is looking into any that are left over, not already being used.
Ok everyone, shoot out your ideas, brainstorm, this could be tons of fun and at the same time make history.
Minnie
Posted By: Carol L Re: words - 12-04-2004 10:53 AM
Hey Minnie, I like the Voice theme. I will put on my thinking cap. Also, when I went to the Relay for Life, they were selling little bows for each type of cancer, I bought the oral cancer one and it was a burgandy or dark maroon color. Not sure where the color came from, but that is what they had for us. I know breast cancer has a pink bracelet that says "Living in Pink", and Bone Marrow/Leukemia has the blue one that says "Life is a Team Sport" (I really like that one). It would be awesome if we had one! Thanks for all that you are doing, looking forward to April in Virginia!!! Love, Carol
Posted By: Uptown Girl Re: words - 12-04-2004 09:50 PM
The official oral cancer awareness "ribbon" colors are red/burgundy and ivory. There is another site that is selling the pins. I can only assume some of the monies earned go to the support of the site/organization...

I really like the Voice theme, too.
Posted By: trvlnjak Re: words - 12-04-2004 11:46 PM
Well, let us start throwing out ideas. I agree with Minnie, Carol and Uptown Girl with a theme involving "Voice". Sometimes the least creative idea can jump-start the real artists. wink "Voices of Promise".

Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV, Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection, Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: words - 12-05-2004 01:31 AM
"Voices for Life, or Voices in love" are also good. It would be great to have our color and theme saying. I wear the LiveStrong bracelet everyday...would love to wear one representing oral cancer specifically!
Thanks Brian for all the great things you think of!!
Debbie
Posted By: Karenmm Re: words - 12-05-2004 09:45 AM
Voices For Hope
Posted By: helen.c Re: words - 12-05-2004 12:45 PM
Voices for tomorrow
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: words - 12-05-2004 02:02 PM
I too, like the Voices idea, but feel it has more oomph with "of" or "in" instead of "for". It has a more positive ring for for me. So like Jack said Voices of Promise, Voices of Hope, Voices of Tomorrow? Voices of Promise and Hope for Tomorrow?
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: words - 12-05-2004 02:07 PM
Somewhat off topic...Just because it is in my nature, and I occaisionally slip into my Englisp, Voithes of Promith? Please, no one be offended, I am playing here! laugh
Posted By: helen.c Re: words - 12-05-2004 02:54 PM
Lisa
no problem I would not suggest something I couldn't say, 14 wks from surgery and my mouth and my brain have very little communication
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: trvlnjak Re: words - 12-05-2004 03:10 PM
with an addendum
...Believe!

Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV, Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection, Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides
Posted By: tizz Re: words - 12-05-2004 09:35 PM
Hi all,

Talking of "voices", these are the lyrics of an Aussie hit song by John Farnham, which I tend to think are pertinent.....and a quote from something I wrote in one of my stories - "Support (for cancer victims) appears mostly concentrated on breast, prostrate and brain cancers. It reminds me of that proverb, 'To be seen and not heard'. Yes, boobs, balls and brains were definitely more important than speech!"

John Farhnam - "You're The Voice"

We have the chance to turn the pages over
We can write what we want to write
We gotta make ends meet, before we get much older
We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son
How long can we look at each other
Down the barrel of a gun?

You're the voice, try and understand it
Make a noise and make it clear
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo
We're not gonna sit in silence
We're not gonna live with fear
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo

This time, we know we all can stand together
With the power to be powerful
Believing we can make it better
We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son

Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo

ooooh We're all someone's daughter
We're all someone's son

Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo
Oh-wo-wo-wo, oh-wo-wo-wo (X3)

Cheers!

Tizz
Posted By: minniea Re: words - 12-05-2004 10:32 PM
I love the song Tizz.....it really moved me. Thank you for sending it.
I like
Voices Raised.........No more silence, No more fear.
Voices......... Voices Of Inspirational Cancer Expertise and Survivorship.
I also like the burgandy color.
Posted By: minniea Re: words - 12-05-2004 10:38 PM
Any good artists on the board?? I would love to see a very simple, plain pic of a round, open mouth with the word "voices" floating out of it. Or the phrase, "no more silence, no more fear".
Posted By: Uptown Girl Re: words - 12-05-2004 10:38 PM
Tizz! That is a really cool song (er, lyrics I mean - the tune might very well suck)! I love this post and thank you - you, too Lisa... That was precious.

I actually like the "You're the Voice" slogan. We're trying to get the word out on the progress, research, awareness and rely on everyone to spread the word... What about "You're the Voice, speak out until there's a cure..." (you know what I mean. That one's kind of dumb, but the concept...)

Susan
Posted By: tizz Re: words - 12-06-2004 02:40 AM
Hi Susan,

The song is very powerful, good production; John Farnham has a very strong voice - it should be available for download (gotta be careful now, as we know), and a big hit in Oz for quite some time, BMG Records, and also Robbie Williams covered the song.

Cheers!

Tizz
Posted By: Kris Re: words - 12-06-2004 02:05 PM
I like the voice concept, too. How about -
OCF, the Voice of Hope, together we can make a difference. - Kris
Posted By: aussieh Re: words - 12-06-2004 06:32 PM
My contribution:

One Voice for Life

Helen
Posted By: Carol L Re: words - 12-06-2004 07:40 PM
Gosh, they are all such good suggestions, it will be difficult narrowing it down to one!! SMILE!!! Carol
Posted By: Uptown Re: words - 12-07-2004 12:39 PM
I bet Rod Stewart would even contribute a jingle from one of his songs. I'll have to search some of his lyrics for "voice" stuff.
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: words - 12-07-2004 06:11 PM
Ed,

Surely you aren't thinking of Hot Tongues?

I need a good talking to, cannot get serious this week...

Lisa
PS Hey, how bout them Hawks?
Posted By: tiamaria Re: words - 12-08-2004 03:56 AM
Litha,Lisa, lisa!
lol, my kids still tease me about "going to the thtore for thum milk"
I am going to be laid up over Xmas with a surgery date of Dec 22 so I will apply my latent artist skills to the wonderful ideas for a logo -iths better than talking about it!
Take care
Maria
Posted By: trvlnjak Re: words - 12-08-2004 08:36 AM
Hi All,

Keeping it rolling,

"Voices of Life ... Believe"

Whatever is chosen, I will wear it with pride and humility.

Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides
Posted By: Carol L Re: words - 12-08-2004 01:46 PM
Hey Jack, good one, like it a lot! I am with you, whatever is chosen, I, too will wear with pride and humility!!! God Bless You! Carol
Posted By: Uptown Re: words - 12-08-2004 03:17 PM
Lisa,

The more I read your posts (and now Maria's, too), I have reached the realization that Tweety Bird is an oral cancer survivor, too.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS! They're rockin' and a rollin' in Lawrence, baby.

Ed
Posted By: Cathy G Re: words - 12-10-2004 11:35 AM
Another possibility: Let Your Voice Be Heard!

Cathy
Posted By: trvlnjak Re: words - 12-18-2004 12:55 AM
Hello ALL,

Virginia walk is coming up quicker than we think.

How about some "words"

Peace
Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides
Posted By: Rose Stern Re: words - 01-02-2005 07:04 PM
VOICES OF COURAGE

ROSALIE
SQUAMOUS CELL CANCER OCT. 20002 NOT STAGED
THYROID CANCER STAGE 4 JANUARY 2003
Posted By: Rose Stern Re: words - 01-02-2005 07:07 PM