Posted By: angels1313 X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-07-2008 12:47 AM
My oncologist told me that I would be receiving X-Ray proton radiation so I looked that up and found that there are only 5 places in the U.S. that has proton therapy and we are not one of them. Is X-Ray proton radiation different from X-Ray Proton Beam radiation? Are most cancer patients treated with the traditional radiation therapy? Has anyone here been treated with the proton beam rad? Thanks, Angel
Posted By: Markus Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-07-2008 03:07 AM
Angel,
It is either x rays or protons beams that are applied. Protons are considered particles (most of the time) so we call this proton beams.
You most likely are getting IMRT which is x rays (or photons).

Hope that helps

M

Posted By: davidcpa Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-07-2008 12:16 PM
Either you misunderstood them which is normal for most of us at the beginning or they don't know what they are doing. Either way, get to the bottom. IMPT (Proton Therapy) is used for hard to reach tumors in delicate areas like the brain for example where the beam acts like a smart bomb killing only the targeted tumor. IMRT (Radiation Therapy) is most often used for Oral Cancers where a much broader area can be targeted with minimal damage to the surrounding good tissue as compared to the older method RT.
Posted By: angels1313 Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-07-2008 08:27 PM
David, Thanks, I spoke with my radiologist today and I will be receiving IMRT, but the other day he told me proton and after reading up on it I knew that wasn't correct. Probably a slip of the tongue. I had another Pet scan today and will find out what the results are on Thurs.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-07-2008 08:46 PM
Good, let us know.
Posted By: Gary Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-09-2008 06:00 AM
I think he meant photon beam therapy:

photon-beam radiation (FOH-ton beem RAY-dee-AY-shun)

A type of radiation therapy that reaches deep tumors with high-energy x-rays made by a machine called a linear accelerator
Posted By: angels1313 Re: X-ray rad. vs proton therapy rad - 10-09-2008 02:00 PM
Gary, Thanks a lot, Angel
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum